“One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts.” –Psalm 145:4
For generations the Yorkville United Methodist Church has been a place to gather and learn about God’s acts of love. Come learn more about the history of our church and where we are heading in the future!
Where We’ve Been and Where We Are Heading
“Greet also the church that meets at their house…” –Romans 16:5
Learn about the beginnings of the Yorkville United Methodist Church back in the 1840′s by reading our history. Our history is available in summary and story formats. Many English settlers came into Wisconsin in the 1840’s. It was one of these deeply religious couples that started the Yorkville United Methodist Church. If you have some time, sit back and read our detailed history story. Otherwise, here is a quick snapshot of our history:
- 1841 – Hannibal and Elizabeth Shephard arrive from Cornwall, England.
- 1842 – Additional settlers, including preachers, arrive. First service is held in the Shephard family home.
- 1844 – Resolved to build the Mud Chapel and start the Yorkville Cemetary.
- 1845 – Yorkville Church becomes member of the Wesleyan Methodist Association.
- 1856 – Sabbath Schools organized for children.
- 1857 – White frame church built.
- 1860 – Switched from Methodist to Bible Christians alliance. Also started a Singing School.
- 1884 – Returned to Methodism by joining the Wisconsin Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
- 1913 – Built red brick church on present site.
- 1959 – Church additon dedicated.
- 1995 – Kids Korner daycare and pre/after-school care started.
- 1999 – Building planning begun.
- 2004 – Building addition dedicated.
Come join us, and be a part of shaping our future!
A Growing Church
Building Project Gallery
See the photographic progression of our 2003 – 2004 building expansion.
“For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything.” –Hebrews 3:4
Our new addition has several additional Sunday school/meeting rooms, an updated office and Pastor’s study, additional bathrooms, and a spacious new area for our Kids Korner ministry. The new main entrance is fully handicapped accessible, complete with elevator and enlarged foyer. Finally, the exterior of our building has been enhanced with new architectural detail.
Join us and help shape our future!