“Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to someone else, for each one should carry his own load.” –Galatians 6:4-5
Back in the fall of 1990, one of our members had the wonderful idea to begin an every-other-Sunday church bowling league at Old Settlers on Highway 11 in Union Grove. Our league is still going strong, with approximately 40 bowlers on 10 teams!
How Does It Work?
- We are a family league, a fun league, a handicapped league, and a non-smoking league! Often we are so busy visiting, that we have to be reminded when it is our turn to bowl!
- Bowlers must be a minimum of 12 years of age, unless they have participated in a junior bowling league. While we are all competing to see our team name on the Traveling Trophy, winning is not the most important thing!
- There is a bowling banquet at the end of the season. Certificates are handed out for awards such as High Game, High Series and Most Improved Average.
- The neatest thing about our Bowling League is the variety of family teams, some made up of two generations, three generations or even siblings. The team names are very unique, too. Team names that have been used include The Turkeys, Knight Riders, The Strikers, Pin Chargers, Celebration, Double The Fun, Yorkville Spirits, One In A Row, Missing Pockets, and The Humdingers.
- We bowl at 4:00 p.m. every other Sunday from mid-September to the end of March. We bowl a total of 14 times.
- We would be pleased to add more four-person teams next season!
If bowling strikes a chord with you, get yourself a team and join in!